Monday, January 14, 2013

 

The Best Kind of Dream


        It had been just a few months since my Step-Grandfather passed away and it felt like the weight of the world was on my shoulders. One night, as my eyes closed, I  thought about our last day together and the fond memories we had...




I looked up, it was twilight. A slight breeze was in the air, and it smelled like summer. I remember walking toward my Grandfather's sliding glass door. This was the backyard I spent my childhood in. I was barefoot, knowing this because the grass felt like soft, cool, threads between my toes. I wanted to head inside, but then stopped abruptly. I wasn't supposed to be there, I kept thinking Its too late, he's dead. So I turned sideways, and headed up the porch stairs. I looked toward the other houses, past the rough wooden fence around the yard, but  only saw vague shapes ahead. When I  glanced above the horizon line, the wind picked up. I watched  as a gradient glow formed in the distance. My pace quickened until I reached the roof.


My feet pit-patted on a fake, white, plastic-like finish. When I reached the top, I was suprised to see a tree splitting the roof into sections. Above me, the branches grew around a wooden platform, with two thin observational windows. The mystery of how it got there took me under, I couldnt help myself! I moved in closer, only to find out that this platform was made with simple tools, plywood and nails. I had to climb the lower branches just to reach it, when I got there, what a spectacular view. The sky shifted from a dark violet, to a  light burgandy.

I felt the floor begin to shake, I thought that maybe my weight had been too much for the make-shift tree house to handle. So I plopped down on my hands and knees. I could only glance up one more time, before the tree started to sway back and forth. With that, I landed on my side...(When I woke up that morning, I had an awful headache) ... A sense of comfort came with each gust of wind, the air wasnt sharp or cold. It was warm and soft.

When I grasped the rthymn of the tree, I peered out of the thin observational window. With each sway, came a different sky...and for a second I believed I was traveling through dimensions. From upside down trees floating in the sky, To an abundence of dancing stars, each image became more and more beautiful. The tree becan to slow, I closed my eyes and drifted into slumber, knowing someone was watching over me.

This dream had alot to do with my mourning, I suppose I was letting death inspire my imagination...either way, its a dream I will never forget.

1 comment:

  1. Could you use this story line (with its distinctive imagery and action) to create a short, one page comic or something like that? Like 6-8 frames with your dream sequence as the dialogue bubbles and your original drawings?

    When you read this in class I thought of a dream I had just had a few nights before: I was sitting at a long dining table with lots of people and noticed one of them was my sweet Papaw, who I lost 7 years ago. I literally crawled down the center of the table to him in my dream and grabbed his face and kissed his cheek. It felt so real. I'd like to think it was him visiting me in the only way he can now, but really, I just woke up sad, missing him even more.

    Your dream seemed like a comfort to you...I like that...

    ReplyDelete